Format Row If Cell Contains Even Number

  1. #1
    Ken Zenachon
    Guest

    Format Row If Cell Contains Even Number

    I'm creating a guest list.
    On this list, persons living at the same address are given a common ID
    number, unique to that address. I enter this number in column A. For
    readability I want records for even-numbered households to have a
    format of my choosing.

    I tried using condidtional format by selecting all the rows and
    entering the formula like this:
    Formula is =ISEVEN($A1)

    This results in an error: "You may not use references to other
    worksheets or workbooks for Conditional Formatting criterea".

    What am I doing wrong?

    ]-[

  2. #2
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Format Row If Cell Contains Even Number

    Ken,

    Try this instead:

    =(MOD($A1,2)=0)

    Works for me.

  3. #3
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: Format Row If Cell Contains Even Number

    In conditional formatting use:

    condition 1: formula is: =MOD(ROW(),2) ....for odd numbered rows and
    condition 2: formula is: =MOD(ROW(),2)-1 ....for even numbered rows

    HTH
    JG

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Format Row If Cell Contains Even Number

    You're doing nothing wrong other than trying to use another workbook.

    ISEVEN is a Function from the Analysis Toolpak add-in hence the "other
    workbooks" message.

    Try the formula given by Mark.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Ken Zenachon
    Guest

    Re: Format Row If Cell Contains Even Number

    Thanks, Mark, that works very well!
    How come my idea didn't cut it?

    ]-[

  6. #6
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Format Row If Cell Contains Even Number

    Ken:

    >From what Gord wrote it appears that the Analysis Toolpak is actually a

    separate workbook. Since ISEVEN is from the Analysis Toolpak, you
    can't refer to it from your workbook when using Conditional Formatting.
    Bummer, that.

    I'm glad I was able to help you out.

    Gord:

    Thanks for the explanation. I'll bet it will help me in the future.