error/ file format invalid

  1. #1
    Daisy1
    Guest

    error/ file format invalid

    When I attempt to open any excel files a error pops up stating file format
    invalid. It also happens when I attept to open a new excel sheet???? I have
    excel student teacher edition 2003

  2. #2

    Re: error/ file format invalid

    When you open any existing file using File|open within excel, you get that error
    message?

    And if you click on the new icon on the standard toolbar, you get it again?

    Or do you get that message when you start up excel?

  3. #3
    Daisy1
    Guest

    Re: error/ file format invalid

    Only when I start up excel, I get 3 error messages.

  4. #4

    Re: error/ file format invalid

    When excel starts, it'll try to open stuff in your XLStart folder and stuff in
    the folder in:

    Tools|Options|General
    "at startup, open all files in:" <xl2002+ wording>
    "Alternate Startup File location" <before xl2002 wording>

    You may have some non-excel files in those folders.

    If you find them in XLStart, move them elsewhere (or delete them if you're sure
    you don't need them).

    If you find a folder name in that tools|options|general tab, remove that entry
    from that box--don't actually delete the folder.

    There might be other places causing this trouble, but I'd start there.