Showing the Grand Total on Data Labels

  1. #1
    Elnora
    Guest

    Showing the Grand Total on Data Labels

    I am building a column chart where several components are shown in each
    column. I would like to display a total at the top of each column, but do not
    want to show the breakdown amounts of the component pieces. When I use data
    labels, it only displays the components, but not the total. Is there a way to
    display the total at the top of each column without showing data labels for
    the components? (I still want to show the components as coloured segments on
    each column, but I don't want the numbers to show there... just a grand total
    at the top of each column.)

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Showing the Grand Total on Data Labels

    Calculate the totals in your data, then add the totals to the
    chart as a new series.
    Right-click the Total series, and change the chart type to Line.
    Right-click the Line, choose Format>Selected Data Series, and set the
    Line to None and Markers to None
    On the Data Labels tab, select Value, click OK
    Right-click the Data Labels, choose Format>Selected Data Labels,
    and select the Alignment tab
    For Label Position, select Above
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Elnora
    Guest

    Re: Showing the Grand Total on Data Labels

    Thanks Debra! This worked great!

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Showing the Grand Total on Data Labels

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it worked.