Vacation accruel

  1. #1

    Vacation accruel

    Looking for a formula for the following:

    One year = 10 days
    Seven years = 15 days
    Eight years = 16 days
    Twelve years = 20 days
    Thirteen years = 21 days
    Fourteen years = 22 days
    Eighteen years = 25 days
    Twenty years = 26 days
    Twenty-one years = 27 days

    I am new at excel but would like to learn. Learning from this site I have tried to put together a formula for this vacation accruel but end up getting error messages on incorrect formula.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Paul

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Vacation accruel

    Paul,

    You should use the VLOOKUP function. In a range of cells, say
    A1:B9, enter your year values in column A and the corresponding
    vacation days in column B. Then, use a formula like

    =VLOOKUP(years_to_lookup,l$A$1:$B$9,2,TRUE)

    where years_to_lookup is the number of years of service for an
    employee. See help for VLOOKUP for more info.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    "PaulStroik"
    <[email protected]> wrote
    in message
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: Vacation accruel

    You will need to setup a two column table
    first column holds 1,7,8,12,etc
    and the column next to that holds the corresponding accruals
    10,15,16,..........
    then use a vlookup formula

    =VLOOKUP(B1,C1:D9,2,TRUE)
    B1 is the cell where you can enter amount of years
    C1:D9 is the table
    2 indicates the second column

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Vacation accruel

    Paul

    Without setting up a seperate table.

    Enter this in B1.

    =LOOKUP(A1,{1,7,8,12,13,14,18,20,21},{10,15,16,20,21,22,25,26,27})

    Note the curly braces. Must be entered as is.

    Enter a number in A1 to return the appropriate numbers of days in B1.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP