Split text without using data-text to columns

  1. #1
    Jambruins
    Guest

    Split text without using data-text to columns

    I have the following in cells
    D3: -2.5 -111
    D4: +2.5 +101
    D5: +10.5 -114
    D6: -10.5 +104
    D7: -8 +100
    D8: +8 -110

    Is there a formula I can enter into cell H3 that will give me just -2.5?
    Note that all the cells aren't necessarily in the same format (some are X.5
    and some are X). Thanks

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Split text without using data-text to columns

    This formula
    =MID(D3,1,FIND(" ",D3,1)-1)
    .... looks for the space in between the numbers, and pulls everything to
    the left of the space.

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Split text without using data-text to columns

    Assuming all of your cells follow the same format as Number - Space - Number,
    then this will work to extract the first number before the space:

    =LEFT(D3,FIND(" ",D3,1)-1)

    HTH,
    Elkar

  4. #4
    SVC
    Guest

    RE: Split text without using data-text to columns

    Assuming that in cell D3 you have a space after the first number and the cell
    is formatted as text, in cell H3 type the following formula:
    =MID(D3,1,FIND(" ",D#,1)-1) and copy down. Note that there is a single space
    between the two quotation marks.

  5. #5
    Jambruins
    Guest

    RE: Split text without using data-text to columns

    thanks to all three of you for the help

  6. #6
    Jambruins
    Guest

    Re: Split text without using data-text to columns

    how would I change the formula to pull everything to the right of the space?

  7. #7
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Split text without using data-text to columns

    One way:

    =MID(D3,FIND(" ",D3)+1,100)
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Split text without using data-text to columns

    > ...Split text ...

    If D3 does in fact have "Text", then a possible alternative...

    =IMREAL(D3& "j")

    HTH. :>)
    --
    Dana DeLouis