Pivot table not sorted... "Data source order" not awailable

  1. #1
    pgchop
    Guest

    Pivot table not sorted... "Data source order" not awailable

    I use a pivot table in which I have some Row field columns (grouping) and
    some Column field columns (data).

    Row field columns (grouping):
    Big Group : text
    ABC : text
    Article No: text starting with article number like "10/7001-20 |WG
    |A|GE|AA"

    Column field columns (data):
    sum of open orders : integer

    I understand I can specify in the Field Setting:Advanced:Autosort options to
    sort within each "Big group", each "ABC", all "Article No" Ascending, using
    field "sum of open orders".
    If I do this, the sorting is done properly, according to the data column.

    The other options are "Manual" and "Data source order"

    The "Data source order" is not awailable and is dimmed. Why ???

    And if I specify "Manual" (or dont specify any sorting) in the data column
    the result is not always sorted according to the data source...
    How can I ensure that within each "big group", each "ABC", all "Article No"
    will be sorted alphabetically ???

    I thought that if I don't specify anything, they would appear in the same
    otder as in the excel database... that is already sorted top down or bottom
    up...
    but they are not sorted at all... Why ???

    I don't get it... can anybody help ?

    Thanks,
    pg

  2. #2
    Peter Aitken
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table not sorted... "Data source order" not awailable

    "pgchop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I use a pivot table in which I have some Row field columns (grouping) and
    > some Column field columns (data).
    >
    > Row field columns (grouping):
    > Big Group : text
    > ABC : text
    > Article No: text starting with article number like "10/7001-20 |WG
    >
    > Column field columns (data):
    > sum of open orders : integer
    >
    > I understand I can specify in the Field Setting:Advanced:Autosort options
    > sort within each "Big group", each "ABC", all "Article No" Ascending,
    > using
    > field "sum of open orders".
    > If I do this, the sorting is done properly, according to the data column.
    >
    > The other options are "Manual" and "Data source order"
    >
    > The "Data source order" is not awailable and is dimmed. Why ???

    The data source must support this option for it to be available.

    > And if I specify "Manual" (or dont specify any sorting) in the data column
    > the result is not always sorted according to the data source...

    Manual means that you can sort items manually by dragging them.

    > How can I ensure that within each "big group", each "ABC", all "Article
    > No"
    > will be sorted alphabetically ???

    Select Ascending as the sort option for that field.

    > I thought that if I don't specify anything, they would appear in the same
    > otder as in the excel database... that is already sorted top down or
    > bottom
    > up...
    > but they are not sorted at all... Why ???

    PTs don't always work the way you think they should. Specify the desired
    sort, do not expect it to happen automatically.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. #3
    pgchop
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table not sorted... "Data source order" not awailable

    Thanks Peter but it does not help.
    In a pivot table you can only sort on the column fields (data).
    The "Article No" is a text field in the Row fields (i.e. the grouping = left
    side)

    Thanks anyway, any other ideas... ?

    PS: By the way, my data source is an other excel file... I guess sorting is
    awailable

  4. #4
    Peter Aitken
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table not sorted... "Data source order" not awailable

    Sure you can - in Excel 2003 anyway. Right-click the field button and select
    Field settings from the popup menu, then click the Advanced button. You'll
    see

    --
    Peter Aitken