Split a column value into two columns

  1. #1

    Split a column value into two columns

    Hi all! I have a column name Name. What I'm trying to do is separete the concatenated field into two diff. fields (LastName and FirstName).

    Example: Doe, Jane

    I would like to leave Doe in the current column and place Jane in a new column to the left of that column.

    Hope that makes sense.

    All help is appreciated!

    TRJ

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Split a column value into two columns

    Use Data | Text to Columns, with a comma defined as the delimiter.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Thanks, Pete!

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Split a column value into two columns

    This method appears to do the job, but will leave a leading space in front
    of Jane, unless both "space" and "comma" are used as delimiters.....

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Split a column value into two columns

    Keeping within your two columns.....assuming Doe, Jane is in B1......
    In A1 put this and copy down....
    =MID(B1,FIND(",",B1,1)+2,99)
    Then do Copy > PasteSpecial > values on column A
    Then highlight column B and do Edit > Replace > FindWhat: ,* > ReplaceWith:
    leave empty > ReplaceAll

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "trjdba" <[email protected]> wrote in