Adding colour to result in a cell?

  1. #1
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    Adding colour to result in a cell?

    Hi there,

    I am developing a spreadsheet that uses data validation and a chooser box to
    select Y or N and depending upon the result drops a value in the adjacent
    box.

    This works as expected and depending upon the formula will enter a number
    from 1-5 when N is selected from the chooser.

    I would like to allocate different colours to result, i.e.

    If Y is selected I would like the Y to appear in green in the chooser to
    indicate an OK result. In this case there is no value dropped into the
    adjacent box when Y is chosen.

    If N is selected I would like the N to appear in Red in the chooser and the
    result that is dropped in the adjacent box to be coloured accordingly.

    For example if 5 is the value then this should be displayed in Red

    If a 1 is the result than display this in Cyan etc.

    As an example the formula I use to return the result is based upon the
    following;

    =IF(E19="N",1,"")

    Is this possible please?

    --
    Thanks & regards,
    -pp-

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Adding colour to result in a cell?

    This should get you started. It assumes the DV box is E5

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E5, E19")) Is Nothing Then
    If Range("E5").Value = "Y" Then
    Select Case Range("E19").Value
    Case 1: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 1
    Case 2: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 2
    Case 3: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 3
    Case 4: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 4
    Case 5: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 5
    Case Else: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 10
    End Select
    Else
    Select Case Range("E19").Value
    Case 1: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 21
    Case 2: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 22
    Case 3: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 23
    Case 4: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 24
    Case 5: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 8
    Case Else: Range("E19").Interior.ColorIndex = 3
    End Select

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor EdMac's Avatar
    Exeter, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    1,264
    If you are not into VBA coding the easiest way to do this is with conditional formatting.

    Ed

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Adding colour to result in a cell?

    Not with 5 values it's not.

    Bob Phillips

    "EdMac" <[email protected]> wrote in

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor EdMac's Avatar
    Exeter, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    1,264
    Agreed,Bob, but not clear exactly what is required.

    Ed

  6. #6
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    Re: Adding colour to result in a cell?

    Thanks for the replies Bob & Ed,

    That first reply from you Bob nearly blew my mind...where on earth does that
    lot go?

    Conditional formatting sounds like it might be easier - if I were to reduce
    the number of colours needed from 5 down to 3 or even 2 how would
    conditional formatting work?

    An example or two would be nice - please excuse my ignorance and bear with
    me - I am a complete idiot when it comes to Excel (and many other things
    besides! :-)

    Thanks & regards,
    -=pp=

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Adding colour to result in a cell?

    I did explain at the end how to implement it. If you want CF

    Select all the cells, starting at let's say A2

    Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
    Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
    Add formula of =AND(E5="Y",E19=1)
    Click Format
    Select Pattern tab
    Select red
    OK

    Click Add>>
    Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
    Add formula of =AND(E5="Y",E19=2)
    Click Format
    Select Pattern tab
    Select green
    OK

    OK

    obviously change the cells to suit.

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor EdMac's Avatar
    Exeter, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    1,264
    Bob's reply required you to be able to use VBA - that is fairly advanced stuff.

    With Conditional formatting (Format>conditional formatting), you can set the format according to what is in the cell OR what is in another cell in the same sheet.

    So if you want the the drop down box to be Red if there is 'N0' in it
    Condition1 Cell Value>Is equal to>="No"

    Then select format and you gett he chance to select the coulour of the font, cell infill and border.

    Then select 'ADD' and you get the chance to set another format - e.g. for Yes. Repeat the process.

    You can use al the normal Excel rules like IF, AND etc to build up complicated setups.

    Hope this helps

    Ed