messy data

  1. #1
    Adam
    Guest

    messy data

    Hi All,

    I have a problem with splitting some messy data and was hoping that
    someone could help me!

    I have a field which looks like this below:

    category6-category5-category4-category3-category2-category1

    which I want to turn into this below, but in there own seperate
    columns:

    A B C D E
    category1 category2 category3 category4 category5 category6

    NOW, the problem is that sometimes the field doesn't go all the way to
    category6, it can go down to as little as category1 or category2 so
    would look like the below:

    category2-category1.

    Can anyone help please?

    Many Thanks
    Adam

    (Office XP, Windows XP Pro)

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: messy data

    Data>Text To Columns, delimited with a separator of -

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Adam
    Guest

    Re: messy data

    Yes, and then?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: messy data

    It's in separate columns, you could either move them, insert a heading and
    sort by the heading. or whatever tickles you.

  5. #5
    Adam
    Guest

    Re: messy data

    But this still does not tackle the issue.

    The columns are back to front in there layout.And some field strings
    are longer than others.