Determining Distance from Latitude and Longitude

  1. #1

    Determining Distance from Latitude and Longitude

    Is there a formula for deriving the great circle distance between two points on the earth's surface when you have their latitude and longitude?

    The format I have the latitude/longitude in is:
    Latitude Longitude
    017/025S 145/030W
    026/045S 141/000E
    031/008N 033/048E
    036/050N 008/000E

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Determining Distance from Latitude and Longitude

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    "morchard" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Determining Distance from Latitude and Longitude

    Take a look at Chip Pearson's notes:
    http://cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm

  4. #4
    Aaron
    Guest

    Re: Determining Distance from Latitude and Longitude

    I have been racking my brain triple checking my equation, and it's not
    computing correctly.

    I have:

    =($M$1*ACOS(COS(I1)*COS(K5)))+(SIN(I1)*SIN(K5)*COS(J1-L5))

    M1 is the earth radius

    All in radians
    I1: lat1
    K5: lat2
    J1: long1
    L5: long2

    For this example,
    city 1: 0.74933823, 1.56014357
    city 2: 0.750862496, 1.560638039

    And it gives me 3985 as the answer. It should be 14.2.

    Help please!!

    Thanks