Formula question-Does anyone have any ideas on a formula that could do this?

  1. #1
    Amanda
    Guest

    Formula question-Does anyone have any ideas on a formula that could do this?

    I have a worksheet with client names in multiple columns. I want to be able
    to have a cell where someone can enter a last name into it, and the formula
    will return all of the company names (which is in my column A of every
    record) for each record the last name is found. Does anyone have any ideas
    on a formula that could do this? Thank you so much for any time spent on
    helping me.
    --
    Amanda

  2. #2

    Talking Grouping

    I have a similiar setup right now, but in order for it to work, you need to device a form of grouping. The way I have to set it up was Clients Names, Last, First. Then all the companys they are associated with. That would enable you to select the name in a drop down list, in another cell of your choice a drop down list would come up with all the companys names for that person. Another more complicated way I cant explain, it envolves offset, match, and lookup formulas. But it would enable you to type all or part of the name and the companys will show in a set amount of cells. Again, grouping is key. Let me know what intrest you the most and I may be able to get you going.

  3. #3
    Amanda
    Guest

    re: Formula question-Does anyone have any ideas on a formula that could do this?

    Thank you very much for your prompt reply to my question. The second option
    interests me more. I don't understand what you mean by grouping.

    Thank you.
    --
    Amanda

  4. #4

    Grouping

    In order for excel to pull up the correct data, it must be organized. The way I would organize your data would be the client name in A5 and B5,(last, first) then B6:Z5 or whatever you need would list the Companys. This is some what off a pain, but organizing your information correctly in excel saves a lot of headaches later. The list would look like this:

    (last) (first) (company) (company)
    a5 b5 c5 d5
    Smith Jane Paper Inc. Plain Inc.

    a1 would be blank (entry field) a2> =vlookup(a1,list range,column,false)
    list range is a5:e26 for example. Needs to be locked. put your curser in this part of the formula and press F4, dollar signs will appear. ($a$5:$e$26) You can select and highlight your range.
    column is, a=1 b=2 c=3 etc... This is the line that will appear in your cell
    false, dont worry about it, just use it.

    Now just fill the cells in a2 to what ever you need, and change the column # by 1 as you go)

    If you want, you can email me some sample data and i can configure it for you. [email protected]