Separate first and second name in one cell into separate cells.

  1. #1
    Dwight in Georgia
    Guest

    Separate first and second name in one cell into separate cells.

    My list has the first and last names in the same cell. How can I separate
    these into two separate cells so I can sort by last name. Or is there a way
    to sort by the last name when the name in the cell is "firstname lastname"?

  2. #2
    Greenville, SC, USA
    To pull out the first name try this.

    =LEFT(B3,FIND(" ",B3)-1)

    where b3 is the cell with the name.

    To pull out the last name try this.

    =MID(B3,FIND(" ",B3)+1,LEN(B3))

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Separate first and second name in one cell into separate cells.

    Hi Dwight

    if you want to keep a copy of the combined names, copy this column to a new
    column before doing the following:

    insert a blank column to the right of the column with the combined names
    select the column of combined names
    choose data / text to columns
    ensure delimited is checked - NEXT
    untick tab, tick space
    FINISH
    --
    Cheers
    JulieD

  4. #4
    MaloMan

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Separate first and second name in one cell into separate cells.

    Data / text to columns / Delimited / Tick 'space' as delimiter, and this
    will put the data into 2 separate columns.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...