Data validation problem

  1. #1

    Data validation problem

    I am trying to use data validation to check whether when data is entered if it is repeated. As the data is in a different worksheet I have created a dynamic named range using the formula:
    =OFFSET(BMs!$A$6,0,0,COUNT(BMs!$A:$A),1)
    called BMs and then used a custom function in data validation to check if the input is repeated using formula:
    ISNA(VLOOKUP(B12,BMs,1,FALSE))
    This gives me the same result whether an input is repeated or not.

    any ideas?

  2. #2

    Re: Data validation problem

    Without looking at your formula at all, is there a reason you just don't use
    List in the Data|Validation rules and point at =BMs

  3. #3
    But won't that then require an input that is on the list and therefore create a duplication which is what I want to avoid?

  4. #4

    Re: Data validation problem

    Yep. Sorry, I misunderstood the point of the question.

    I used this formula:
    =ISERROR(MATCH(b12,BMS,0))

    (=match() is just about the same as =vlookup() when you're bringing back the
    first column.)

    This worked so that I couldn't enter any value that was in that list of BMs.

    This may be easier to see:
    =COUNTIF(BMS,b12)=0

    ====
    Did you actually have an equal sign in your formula?
    ISNA(VLOOKUP(B12,BMs,1,FALSE))
    (the email post didn't show one, and your formula worked when I added it.)
    =ISNA(VLOOKUP(B12,BMs,1,FALSE))

  5. #5
    It did have an equals sign. I have figured out why it wasn't working now - the figures in the list were linked to the inputted cells so that every time I updated a value it found a repeat - doh! Thanks for your help.