number of hours between two date/times

  1. #1
    TBA
    Guest

    number of hours between two date/times

    I have tried a number of the responses posted- sorry i can't seem to get it
    right!
    I want to calculate the number of days and hours between two date time values
    e.g.

    cell A1 start: 17/01/2006 16:12
    cell A2 finish: 25/01/2006 10:00
    cell A3 answer: 7 days 18 hrs

    and is it possible to leave cells A1 and A2 in dd:mm:yy hh:mm format rather
    than 'general'?

    thanks for your help-

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: number of hours between two date/times

    =INT(A2-A1)&" days "&ROUND(MOD(A2-A1,1)*24,0)&" hours"

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    TBA
    Guest

    Re: number of hours between two date/times

    Thanks Bob- such prompt service!
    that works fine.

  4. #4
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: number of hours between two date/times

    =TEXT(INT(A2-A1),"#")&" Days "&TEXT(24*(MOD(A2-A1,1)),"#")&" hrs."

    this formula outputs the total number of days, and rounds the remaining
    hours (18 hrs instead of 17 hrs 48 minutes).

    You might be having trouble with the way you are inputing your dates. If
    you format them to general you should get numbers like this.
    38734.675
    38742.41667
    This is the actual serial number for the dates you specified. If they stay
    in date format, that means the cells are actually text strings and not dates
    (as far as excel is concerned). You might need to switch the day and month,
    and then change the format to
    dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm
    to get them to show how you want.

  5. #5
    Sloth
    Guest

    Re: number of hours between two date/times

    Bob,

    you make me look so stupid . You posted and got a response in the time it
    took me to finish writing my post.

    Jason Rackley

  6. #6
    TBA
    Guest

    RE: number of hours between two date/times

    thanks Sloth, i will try this too
    cheers
    Theo

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: number of hours between two date/times

    The OP is spoilt. 47 minutes and three alternative solutions. Where else do
    you get (free) service like that?

    Bob

    news:[email protected]...