I need to use a formula to pick up a value by the font color?

  1. #1
    Harshad
    Guest

    I need to use a formula to pick up a value by the font color?

    i have an excel sheet in which there are several rows out of which some are
    red. those which are red, in the last cell i need to have a "yes" or
    "Duplicate" next to the cell.................

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: I need to use a formula to pick up a value by the font color?

    Hi Harshad,
    I'm not sure how Duplicate and how lastcell comes into the mix,
    but creating something dependent on color is a bad idea.
    1) Very inefficient
    2) Some people are color blind
    3) Even 8 of 16 basic colors may not be distinguishable on a laptop from most
    viewing angles (parts of a screen) by a person..
    4) There is no Event to recognize a change of color (or any formatting), so
    everything has to be recalculated everytime a recalculation takes place
    with use of volatile if you have to try to keep up with changes.

    Chip Pearson has a page with routines on determining and counting colors
    please read the bold type on the page.
    Functions For Cell Colors
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

    Some of my examples using Chip's routines:
    "Interior Color, using Count, SUM, etc. (#count)"
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm#count
    --
    HTH,