Formatting Formulas

  1. #1
    Norg Bort
    Guest

    Formatting Formulas

    I have a series of formulas that creates English Language labels out
    of a variety of VLOOKUP's and the ever helpful & sign.

    Basically, I used the VLOOKUPS to get "Big", "Bag", "Delicious", and
    "Apples" in cells A1-D1, respectively.

    Then, in E1, I've got

    =A1&" "&B1&" of "&C1&" "&D1

    so that it comes out

    Big Bag of Delicious Apples

    In E2 it says Small Bundle of Tart Grapes and E3 says Big Bundle of
    Tart Apples, etc.

    What I'd like to have, though, is some sort of formatting set up so
    that in the E column, every instance of "Tart" is bolded, every
    instance of "Apples" is bolded and red, and every instance of "Big" is
    italics.

    Can this be done effectively without having to redesign the whole
    spreadsheet? Can it be done even if I do redesign it?

    Thanks,

  2. #2

    Re: Formatting Formulas

    The bad news is that formulas can't have that character by character formatting
    that you can get with cells that just contain text values.

    If you want the whole cell formatted, you may be able to use format|conditional
    formatting.