How can I add up lookups? Finding days in a week of a month

  1. #1
    Michael at Thin Air
    Guest

    How can I add up lookups? Finding days in a week of a month

    I have a table that has columns of days, 1-31 and another column with the day
    of the week, Mon-Sun and then various columns of numbers for each day of the
    month.

    I want to be able to a get sum of all the numbers for each day of the week.
    I am using lookup but this is only returning the last incidence and I need
    all the numbers added together. Example, I need all widgets sold on Saturday
    for the month.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How can I add up lookups? Finding days in a week of a month

    Sorry! Wrong link. Here it is:
    (Didn't have my coffee yet.)
    ************
    Hope it helps!
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    "Michael at Thin Air" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How can I add up lookups? Finding days in a week of a month

    Try this, Michael:
    ************

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How can I add up lookups? Finding days in a week of a month

    An easy way to summarize data in a table is to use a pivot table. There
    are instructions in Excel's Help, and here:

    In the pivot table, put Day in the row area, and the number columns in
    the Data area.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  5. #5
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: How can I add up lookups? Finding days in a week of a month

    Another link that may be useful to you regarding multiple criteria lookups

    http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

  6. #6
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael at Thin Air
    I have a table that has columns of days, 1-31 and another column with the day
    of the week, Mon-Sun and then various columns of numbers for each day of the
    month.

    I want to be able to a get sum of all the numbers for each day of the week.
    I am using lookup but this is only returning the last incidence and I need
    all the numbers added together. Example, I need all widgets sold on Saturday
    for the month.

    TIA
    If your days are in column B and he amounts you want to sum in column C

    =SUMIF(b:b,"Sat",c:c)