Hyperlinks open as Read-only??

  1. #1

    Question Hyperlinks open as Read-only??

    I am building an excel sheet which contains a number of hyperlinks to other documents (powerpoint presentations, PDF-files, etc), but as I click the hyperlinks they open as read-only files, and I would much prefer that they open within their original program (e.g MS Powerpoint) so that the user will be able to save the linked file locally..

    Can anyone help??? Thanks a lot..

    /Michael

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks open as Read-only??

    Hi Mike,
    What are they opening up in. If PDF files are opening up in
    Internet Explorer, I think it is because you installed plugins when you
    installed the Acrobat reader. Having browsers open up such files
    within the browser is a big mistake, in my opinion, and one that is
    hard to eliminate. Also don't install toolbars to open PDF files in
    your browser.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pdf.htm
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#acrobat

    Of course you did not say what really happens so that was my
    guess.

    A problem involving backing up files to a diskette or a CD-R might
    be involved with read only files even accessed in their own application
    and even if restored to a hard drive from portable media.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...p.htm#readonly

    Direct use of newsgroups would be preferable to web based access.
    Web based access that stores newsgroup postings as web pages
    seriously impairs use search engines. If you must use web access
    then Google Groups at least keep postings out of where they don't belong.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm#posting
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Hyperlinks open as Read-only??

    I use Adobe Reader 7.0.

    I opened a local pdf file and then changed this setting in Reader:

    Edit|Preferences|Internet Category
    uncheck "Display PDF in Browser"

    (I don't like PDFs opening in MSIE, either.)

    Earlier versions of Reader (or whatever it was called), I had to move/delete a
    ..dll (the name of which no longer exists in my brain!). But that was with
    version 5.x (IIRC).

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks open as Read-only??

    Good to know, I'm still using Acrobat Reader 5.1, I had
    so much trouble with either 6.0 or 7.0 that I uninstalled it and
    reinstalled 5.1 because the newer one would not read the
    files on many sites. They really have compatibility problems.
    Especially bad when accountants use it all the time and can't
    read a file. It was the one that new at end of March last year.