Extracting month from a date field

  1. #1
    Alan
    Guest

    Extracting month from a date field

    In cell A1 is the date 8/29/1924. I want to present the month in 3
    character format in cell B1. I have the formula =month(a1) in cell B1 which
    shows the number 8. I have tried formatting cell B1 in different ways to
    get "Aug" to show. I get "Jan" showing when I use the formula =text
    (monthA1,"MMM") in cell B1. What gives??

    TIA, Alan

  2. #2

    Re: Extracting month from a date field

    8 by itself represents Jan 8, 1900.

    You could just use
    =A1
    and format it as MMM
    or
    =text(a1,"mmm")

  3. #3
    FiluDlidu
    Guest

    RE: Extracting month from a date field

    Don't forget that when you have "8" for a date, that represents January 8th
    of the first year on the counter (which is 1900), and therefore, you're
    getting "Jan".
    You could use the following in B1:
    =text(A1,"Mmm")

    Then the result of the first part of the formula will not be 8, but 9008
    (which corresponds to August 29th in 1924), and the result will be "Aug".

    Regards,
    FĂ©lix