can you make a cell value required?

  1. #1

    Question can you make a cell value required?

    I am sending a excel spreadsheet out to my end users to collect business related data.

    I'd like to make a cell value required, is this possible?

    If answer to question asked in column F is "YES", make column E a required. Can this be done using excel?

  2. #2

    Re: can you make a cell value required?

    I'd use column G:

    =if(f2<>"yes","","Please answer the question in column E!")

    Format it in nice big bold red letters.

  3. #3
    Once you've got your answer you can write a macro that will run when the workbook is saved. Maybe not the most succinct method, but the only one I know:

    In 'ThisWorkbook' write:

    If Cells(y1,6).value = "yes" then
    If Cells(y2,5).value = "" then
    MsgBox("Please enter value in cell y2,5)
    Cancel = True

    where y1 and y2 are the relevant rows.