Comma delimiter for csv downloads?

  1. #1
    Les M
    Guest

    Comma delimiter for csv downloads?

    I have recently upgraded to Windows XP Home edition and have reinstalled all
    my applications. I regularly download csv files from one particular site and
    use them in Excel, but now they always download with all data in column A (in
    the past they downloaded correctly as csv files, using separate columns).

    In Control panel/Regional settings, comma is specified as the list
    separator, but this is not having the required effect.

    I can go through the "Data/Text to Columns/Delimited/comma" process each
    time I download (and that process works), but I would like the default to
    operate as it should.

    Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Nick B
    Guest

    RE: Comma delimiter for csv downloads?

    If you open one of the files in Notepad, before opening in Excel, can you
    verify that the files have commas and not another delimiter?
    Are the files being saved with the .csv extension, or by any chance are they
    being saved with .csv.txt extension? (i.e. the actual extension is being
    hidden -- open My Computer, Tools->Folder Options, View tab and verify that
    Hide extensions for known file types is NOT selected.)

  3. #3
    Les M
    Guest

    RE: Comma delimiter for csv downloads?

    Nick,

    The files have commas, and when Excel is using comma as delimiter all is
    well. But I have to go through the process of Data/Text to
    Columns/Delimited/comma to get Excel to recognise the commas as delimiters -
    even though comma is specified in Regional settings as the list separator.

    I normally download and open the files without saving them, so at the time
    of opening, there isn't a file extension. However, if I download and try to
    save, they try to save as "Text (Tab Delimited)". If I override that and
    force them to save as .csv, then they will open correctly in future.

    What I have always done is simply download and open, use the info (stock
    prices) and then exit without saving the file at all. And that's what I'd
    like to continue to do. But since moving to Windows XP and reinstalling
    Office, it seems that Excel just won't work that way.

  4. #4
    Nick B
    Guest

    RE: Comma delimiter for csv downloads?

    Interesting. Sounds like, perhaps, a change on the server. Can you provide us
    with a link to a sample file? If the file does not have an extension, then it
    should be prompting you asking what program to open the file with. If it has
    a CSV, then all should be well. Sounds like the files on the server have a
    ..txt extension instead perhaps. Any chance you can supply us with a link?

  5. #5
    Les M
    Guest

    RE: Comma delimiter for csv downloads?

    Nick,

    Thanks for your attention. I'm sorry but I expect the following will not be
    much help.

    The site is a major stockbroker in Australia, and one needs to be a
    registered user to logon and download watchlist information, but I really
    doubt that there has been a change on the server at the same time I upgraded
    and reinstalled everything.

    When downloading these files, the downloaded file normally opens in Excel
    within an IE6 window and displays no filetype, etc in the heading. The first
    indication I can get of filetype is if I try to save it and, as mentioned
    earlier, it tries to save it as Text (Tab Delimited).

    However, I have just tried the download with a "Save As" option, and before
    I specify a file type, it has selected "csv". In fact, if I proceed with that
    and save as csv, and then open the saved file, Excel works just fine!

    So I obviously have another "workaround", but not the real thing (I just
    want to view the file without saving it).

    Thanks again for your interest.

  6. #6

    Re: Comma delimiter for csv downloads?

    Just some comments/questions...

    First, I'd double check the regional settings list separator character--no extra
    trailing space characters/junk(?).

    Second, if you save the file to a .csv file on your harddrive and then
    doubleclick on that filename in windows explorer, does excel open it correctly
    (separate columns for each field)?

    Third (just a guess), I think I'd try to reregister excel so that it knows that
    it owns the .csv extension.

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

    Then test it out.

    Good luck,

  7. #7
    Les M
    Guest

    Re: Comma delimiter for csv downloads?

    Dave,

    Firstly, thanks for your interest. I think I've made some progress, but I'm
    not sure where to go next. Following are answers to your questions, plus new
    information that, I think, makes the real problem much clearer.

    1. Comma is definitely the list separator (no spaces, etc). Also the
    /unregserver and /regserver things didn't make any difference.

    2. When I'm using IE6 and download using the "Open in a New Window" option,
    all the data arrives in column A. When I try to "Save As" it wants to use
    "Text (Tab Delimited)". When I change that to "CSV" and save, then reopen it,
    I have the same problem. Reason for this is now obvious because I have opened
    the file with Notepad and following are the first couple of rows....
    "Name,Stock,Bid $,Offer $,Last $,Change,%,Open $,High $,Low $,Volume"
    "M-W Fund - M-W
    Fund,ABS,7.420,7.430,7.420,-0.140,-1.85,7.510,7.520,7.410,221210"

    It's obvious, even to me, that the quotes are the problem. But that's not
    the whole story...

    3. When I'm using IE6 and I download using the "Save As" option, it saves a
    csv file. Opening it in Windows Explorer opens in Excel, with everythinhg in
    the correct columns. Following are the first two rows of the file saved that
    way. There are no quotes.
    Name,Stock,Bid $,Offer $,Last $,Change,%,Open $,High $,Low $,Volume
    M-W Fund - M-W Fund,ABS,7.660,7.450,7.560,0.000,0.00,0.000,0.000,0.000,0

    At this point I'm suspecting the download site, but then....

    4. Perhaps I shouldn't mention this in this particular site, but I then
    repeated 2. above using the Netscape browser. I downloaded using the "Open in
    New Window" option, and used "Save As". It saved as a csv file (never
    mentioned anything else), and when displayed using Notepad, there were no
    quotes.

    This implies to me that the quotes aren't there when downloaded. but are
    being added as part of the IE6/Excel process, but not as part of the
    IE6/Netyscape process.

    Does any of this make any sense?

  8. #8

    Re: Comma delimiter for csv downloads?

    Your message makes complete sense to me--but it's nothing that I know enough to
    help.

    I think I'd post in one of the internet explorer newsgroups and see if anyone
    has a thought...

    Or it could be the web page that looks at what browser you're using and does
    things differently--again, that's over my head.