Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

  1. #1
    Darlene
    Guest

    Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

    I am using Excel 2000 and have received a large data file downloaded from a
    mainframe system. Is there a way to easily convert the numbers stored as
    text back to numbers so I can total them?

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

    Try this:

    Select a blank cell
    Edit>Copy

    Select the range of numbers
    Edit>Paste Special
    Check: Add
    Click the [OK] button

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

    Enter the number 0 in some empty cell and copy it (ctrl+c).
    Select your text to convert, and Edit > Paste Special, select Add and click
    OK.
    --Bruce

  4. #4
    Darlene
    Guest

    RE: Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

    Is there anything I can do with the negatives that show up as 456.78- ?

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

    Regarding the trailing minus sign....

    Select the cell(s)
    Data>Text-to-Columns
    Select either delimited or fixed width (whichever suits your data)
    Click the [Next] button...adjust as necessary
    Click the [Next] button
    Click the [Advanced] button...adjust as necessary
    Check: Trailing mins signs
    Click the [OK] button
    Click the [Finish] button

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  6. #6
    Darlene
    Guest

    RE: Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

    I am using 2000 and the trailing minus sign option box is not available.
    Thanks anyway...

  7. #7

    Re: Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

    Dana DeLouis posted this:

    Sub TrailingMinus()
    ' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    ' Use of CDbl suggested by Peter Surcouf
    ' Program by Dana DeLouis, [email protected]
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim bigrng As Range

    On Error Resume Next
    Set bigrng = Cells.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues).Cells
    If bigrng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    For Each rng In bigrng.Cells
    rng = CDbl(rng)
    Next