Sorting 1 column into two

  1. #1
    jimF
    Guest

    Sorting 1 column into two

    I have a list of numbers in 1 column that total to a specific number. I want
    to create two separate columns whose indidvdual totals are as close as
    possible to the original total and the two new column lengths are as close as
    possible.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Sorting 1 column into two

    Please supply more details........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    jimF
    Guest

    RE: Sorting 1 column into two

    My single column is a list 20 random entries(in seconds) that total 2000 sec
    .. From that single list, I want to create two separate lists that total
    close to 1000 seconds each and, if possible, have the two new lists with
    close to equal number of entries.

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Sorting 1 column into two

    So, ideally, you would wind up with two new lists, each of 10 items,
    extracted from the 20 item list in column A and each totalling 1000
    sec.............is that it?

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    jimF
    Guest

    RE: Sorting 1 column into two

    Correct, that would be ideal with more emphasis on each list totaling 1000
    sec and less emphasis. on each being 10 items long.

    Thanks for your assistance

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Sorting 1 column into two

    I was afraid you were going to say that <g>........I don't have a clue how
    to do that automatically, but with only a 20 item list, I was able to set up
    the three columns and put the =SUM(B1:B20) in cell B21 and =SUM(C1:C20) in
    cell C21 and then just moving the values back and forth from column A to
    columns B and C to balance B21 and C21.........in my sample it didn't take
    too long.

    Maybe some "statistical" type guy can see this and give you a better answer.

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3