mouse stuck in cell selection mode

  1. #1
    steveSC02
    Guest

    mouse stuck in cell selection mode

    Whether I open a new Excel (2003) spreadsheet or existing one, once I click
    on any cell the mouse is stuck in multi-cell selection mode. Moving the
    mouse highlights all cells from the first cell selected to where ever the
    mouse is moved. Can't click on any menu or icon, can't exit excel. How did
    I get into this mode & how do I get out? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: mouse stuck in cell selection mode

    There is known (but unacknowledged by MS) bug that causes this
    behavior. If your mouse has a wheel, try clicking the wheel a few
    times. If you have a USB mouse, disconnect it then reconnect it.
    Neither of these are sure fire fixes.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    "steveSC02" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: mouse stuck in cell selection mode

    Hi F8

    Howard

  4. #4
    steveSC02
    Guest

    Re: mouse stuck in cell selection mode

    I'm using a USB track ball through a USB to PS2 adapter, but it may have been
    mouse related. No problem with mouse in other apps. Logging on as other user
    - same problem. Disconnecting/reconnecting the mouse resulted in mouse
    movement causing beeping. Rebooted to reset mouse movement=beeping & Excel
    problem was resolved...should have tried that before posting. Side note:
    pressing F8 turned on EXT mode but wouldn't turn off EXT mode prior to reboot.
    Thanks.

  5. #5
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: mouse stuck in cell selection mode

    After seeing Chip's response, I see I did not comprehend the problem.

    Regards,
    Howard

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: mouse stuck in cell selection mode

    Hi Steve,
    The fact that the problem did not occur until you clicked on the sheet
    and the fact that you had EXT turned on but could not turn it back off
    seems quite a bit different from aspects of the bug many of us are
    familiar with. Though the fact that you have Excel 2003 is also different.

    Since it was not EXT or ALT or they could not be turned off that does make the
    problem (or multiple problems) look closer to the bug(s) we are familiar with.

    You should not have to power down your machine to get out of Excel,
    though since Excel is what you were updating it might not make much
    difference between ending through terminating the excel.exe
    or terminating through the Task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and powering down
    when it means losing your updates.

    If you can access your file okay now, I would certainly back up that file, right away

    Powering down does have one advantage in that powering back
    up might tell you that you had a stuck key. Obviously you didn't.
    Take a look at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mouse.txt
    --
    ---
    HTH,

  7. #7
    Victoria , BC
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2205 Build 16.0.15225.20172) 64-bit

    Re: mouse stuck in cell selection mode

    Same problem. None of the above workarounds worked, nor did pressing obvious keys--Shift, CapsLock, Esc, ScrLk etc. Fortuitously, I moved to another window (it happened to be qBitTorrent) and closed it to the Notification area. That solved the problem! I have no idea what the significant underlying operation was. THEN, I repeated this operation to confirm details for this post. The big plus sign reappeared in my Excel workbook, and was once again "stuck". Exiting Excel & even rebooting don't help. I may try a general fix-up program, "Tweaking.com - Windows Repair", but it's a lot of work, so I'm putting that off.
    Last edited by tpatriarche; 05-30-2022 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Further (mis)behaviour observed