Excel and Quickbooks

  1. #1
    Karen
    Guest

    Excel and Quickbooks

    Hi all,

    I'm working on setting up a speadsheet in Excel using data from Quickbooks
    (an accounting package). I have the speadsheets linked but every month I have
    to redo the links because when I export from Quickbooks into my excel
    spreadsheet it creates a new page in the workbook. I need to overright the
    information each month so it pulls the same cell information each month. Any
    help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    --
    Karen

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Excel and Quickbooks

    Hi Karen. I do what you're every month because my Board likes to see the
    budget on the spreadsheet, as well as a comparison to last year. I set up a
    spreadsheet exactly like the Revenue and Expense report in Quickbooks. I
    then download the report from Quickbooks and move the sheet to the Workbook
    with the spreadsheet. I then rename the Quickbooks sheet DOWNLOAD. Link the
    two sheets together, account-by-account for the month and year-to-date if you
    want that column. The next month open the workbook and save it under a new
    name. I use Month Year of the report. Now run the Quickbooks report for the
    new month and move it to the new month's Workbook. Delete the spreadsheet
    name DOWNLOAD and rename the new month's spreadsheet DOWNLOAD. Finally,
    select the linked spreadsheet and you'll notice that all the account dollars
    have become #REF. Go to Edit - Replace and replace #REF with DOWNLOAD. Your
    spreadsheet will update automatically. It sounds like a lot, but once setup
    you can generate your new month's spreadsheet in minutes. HTH
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Excel and Quickbooks

    Hi Karen
    You can export to the same file, same worksheet if you want (at least in
    QB Premier 2004 edition, UK)
    When you have the report on screen, click the Export tab.
    You have the option to export CSV file, File to new Excel Workbook, or
    to Existing Excel Workbook.
    If you choose existing, you then have the option for New Sheet, or
    Choose existing Sheet.
    You can also get it to send an instruction sheet explaining Excel
    linking.

    Note. the existing file has to have been saved first, and must be closed
    before the export takes place.
    I think I would be inclined to copy the data from the existing sheet
    first, then Paste Special>values to another sheet in the Workbook, and
    name the tab the Month in question.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier