Formats and Formulas

  1. #1

    Thumbs up Formats and Formulas

    Hey all,

    I am trying to create an attendance database as mentioned in my previous thread. My second problem is:

    : I do not understand how to use conditional formatting with formulas. What I want is if the value in one cell is not blank, then the other cell where formtting is done, should turn a different colour. I am not able to make out what formula to enter in this.

    Ex: I have selected A1:A10 for conditional formatting.
    Now, If the cell in B1=1, then A1:A10 should be formatted conditionally.

    Please help.

    Thanks in advance,
    Praveen

  2. #2
    Try highlighting A1:A10 and going to the conditional formatting menu. Set it to "Formula Is" and in the formula section type =$B$1=1 and then set the color/border/font to what you want. This should do what you are looking for.

    Hope it helps.

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Formats and Formulas

    Select A1:A10 and go to Conditional formatting
    Select Formula is and enter the formula =$B$1=1
    Click the Format button to set your format, click OK to on the Format Cells
    box , then Ok the Conditional Formatting box.

    Now, if B1=1, A1:A10 will be formatted as you chose.
    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Formats and Formulas

    It's exactly the formula in your post!

    =B1=1

    *BUT* ... It now depends on if you *only* want B1 to determine your format
    .... *OR* ... you want B1:B10 to control the A1 to A10 format.

    Select A1:A10, and when you're in CF, use,
    Formula is:
    =*B*1=1
    For *only* B1 to determine the format of A1 to A10,
    OR
    =B1=1
    for B1 to B10 to determine the format of A1 to A10 individually.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "praveen_khm" <[email protected]>