Copying groups of dates

  1. #1
    TBoe
    Guest

    Copying groups of dates

    I have a spreadsheet that has all these dates listed for every Friday of the
    year
    grouped in nines for the year 2005. Is there a way to do a fill so I can
    achieve these same results for 2006? Thank You!

    1/6/06 KCCH
    1/6/06 DCFS
    1/6/06 Brookside
    1/6/06 Health
    1/6/06 Joint Services
    1/6/06 Circuit Court
    1/6/06 ROD
    1/6/06 V/W-Returns
    1/6/06 V/W-Packetts

    1/13/06 KCCH
    1/13/06 DCFS
    1/13/06 Brookside
    1/13/06 Health
    1/13/06 Joint Services
    1/13/06 Circuit Court
    1/13/06 ROD
    1/13/06 V/W-Returns
    1/13/06 V/W-Packetts

    1/20/06 KCCH
    1/20/06 DCFS
    1/20/06 Brookside
    1/20/06 Health
    1/20/06 Joint Services
    1/20/06 Circuit Court
    1/20/06 ROD
    1/20/06 V/W-Returns
    1/20/06 V/W-Packetts

  2. #2
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Copying groups of dates

    In a blank cell enter 364, then click <copy> on this cell. Then
    highlight all the dates and Edit | Paste Special | Values (check) and
    Add (check), then OK and <Esc>. This will move all the dates on by 1
    year minus 1 day, so that the dates will still point to Fridays. You
    didn't make it clear if you wanted to keep last year's sheet - if so,
    just copy it into the same workbook first then perform this operation
    on the copied sheet.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    SVC
    Guest

    RE: Copying groups of dates

    Assuming that this is a schedule and will have the same entries in column B
    as last year, you can do the following:

    In a blank see enter 364, the copy. Select Column A and then Edit, Paste
    Special and select Add. Now change the format of the cells in column A to
    the date format you wish. You will need to remove the dates from the blank
    rows: Use Control + H, Find the date that populates the blank rows and
    Replace with nothing.

  4. #4
    TBoe
    Guest

    Re: Copying groups of dates

    You're a genius Pete. Worked like a charm. Thank you very much.

  5. #5
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: Copying groups of dates

    Another way:

    In A1 enter the last Friday of the old year.

    in A3 enter: =A1+7
    in A4 enter: =A3 and copy down to A11

    Highlight A3 to A11 and copy to A13, A23 etc.

    Don't quite catch the sense though because the information is always
    the same except for the date. If you want to mark something you could
    also do this:

    In A2 enter the last Friday of the old year.
    In A3 to A11 enter your text data
    In B2 enter: =A2+7 and copy to the right as far as you want to go.

    In the intersection of a text entry on the left and a date in row 2 you
    can mark something.

    Hans