=?Utf-8?Q?If_/_Vlookup_Formula_Help_=E2=80=A6!!?=

  1. #1
    Monk
    Guest

    =?Utf-8?Q?If_/_Vlookup_Formula_Help_=E2=80=A6!!?=

    Hi there..,
    I’m experiencing a problem with a formula I am attempting to compile
    (nothing new there)

    Basically I require a formula to lookup some text within a specified cell
    (we shall say ‘A1’) and return the given result that identically matches the
    text throughout a large table (we shall say ‘B1:G2500’). The formula im using
    …..

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A$1,$B$1:$G$2500,3,FALSE))," ",VLOOKUP($A$1,$B$1:
    $G$2500,3,FALSE))

    …. is returning all the correct results by searching column B for the
    specified text and in the above case is returning the result within the same
    row on column D (3).
    However the problem im finding is.., if column B doesn’t contain the
    specified text it’s returning a duplicate result of the nearest cell that
    does contain the text (this is bad) and if I lose the appropriate ‘$’ symbols
    within my formula, it will happily return a completely blank row (also bad).

    Is it possible to amend this formula (or provide a new one) which would
    return the above results without duplicating or leaving a blank cell.
    Basically it would just move on to the next cell which contains the specified
    text (similar to applying a filter, which I wish not use if at all possible).

    Any thoughts.. many thanks,
    Monk

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    =?Utf-8?Q?RE:_If_/_Vlookup_Formula_Help_=E2=80=A6!?==?Utf-8?Q?!?=

    Have you tried changing your optional False statement to true so the VLOOKUP
    only looks for an exact match?
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: If / Vlookup Formula Help .!!

    It's the other way around, Kevin, that's what puzzles me

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: If / Vlookup Formula Help .!!

    Hi Monk,

    I'm with Niek, looks good to me. I would look at a sample workbook if you
    want to send me one.

    Regards,
    Howard

    news:[email protected]...