Elimnating subsequent cells

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    GARY
    Guest

    Elimnating subsequent cells

    Cells in column A contain certain values.
    How can I eliminate the same values in subsequent cell(s)?

    Example.

    Original worksheet:

    1 DOG
    2 12
    3 CAT
    4 15
    5 BRUCE
    6 DOG
    7 1
    8 2
    9 CAT
    10 DIANE
    11 CATHY
    12 3
    13 DOG
    14 15
    15 PRUFROCK
    16 HORSE
    17 16
    18 4
    19 MOUSE
    20 23
    21 22
    22 21
    23 CAT
    24 JOHN
    25 DOG
    26 JACK
    27 26
    28 HORSE
    29 5
    30 6
    31 CAT
    32 CAT
    33 12
    34 DOG
    35 6
    36 7
    37 CAT
    38 DOG
    39 MOUSE
    40 13
    41 HORSE
    42 52
    43 DOG

    Result:

    1 DOG
    2 12
    3 CAT
    4 15
    5 BRUCE
    6
    7 1
    8 2
    9
    10 DIANE
    11 CATHY
    12 3
    13
    14 15
    15 PRUFROCK
    16 HORSE
    17 16
    18 4
    19 MOUSE
    20 23
    21 22
    22 21
    23
    24 JOHN
    25
    26 JACK
    27 26
    28
    29 5
    30 6
    33 12
    34
    35 6
    36 7
    40 13
    41
    42 52
    43

  2. #2

    Re: Elimnating subsequent cells

    Since the first item will always be in the result list make B1 equal
    A1.
    Put the following formula into cell B2 and copy it down:

    =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A2,$A$1:A1,0)),A2,"")

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Elimnating subsequent cells

    You have a few options, here's one:

    Put a heading at the top of the list.
    Assuming A1: MyList

    C1: MyList

    Select your list
    Data>Filter>Advanced Filter
    Check: Copy to another location
    Check: Unique Records Only
    List Range: (your already selected list)
    Copy to: $C$1
    Click the [OK] button
    (that will put all unique list values under C1)

    Do what you want with your original list.

    Does that helkp?

    Regards,
    Ron

    Does that help?