Convert general format to date

  1. #1
    NickC
    Guest

    Convert general format to date

    I recently scanned a number of newspaper articles and saved them as PDF
    files using this as filename: article_newspaperddmmyy
    e.g. Big story_FreePress050206 where 050206 refers to February 5, 2006. I
    have a folder with over 300 filenames like that. I used a PrintFolder
    program to list these filenames and export them into Excel. By using the
    Text to Columns feature I was able to place the date reference part of the
    filename into a separate column. However I notice that after doing this I
    have a problem example 050206 appears as 50206, the leading zero disappears.
    How can I convert this General Format number to a date format such as
    dd-mm-yy

    Thanks for your help

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Convert general format to date

    You can accomplish the separation of the date portion *AND* the formatting
    of *that* date column in one shot, while you're in TTC.

    In the 3rd step of the TTC wizard, *before* you click on "Finish", click on
    the date column to select it.
    Then, under "Column Data Format", in the upper right portion of the wizard
    window, click on "Date", and then make sure DMY is in the adjoining box.
    The header of your selected date column in the "data preview" box should
    change from "General" to "DMY".

    Now, when you click "Finish", TTC will automatically format your date column
    at the same time as it performs the data separation.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    NickC
    Guest

    Re: Convert general format to date

    Thanks. It worked
    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You can accomplish the separation of the date portion *AND* the formatting
    > of *that* date column in one shot, while you're in TTC.
    >
    > In the 3rd step of the TTC wizard, *before* you click on "Finish", click

    on
    > the date column to select it.
    > Then, under "Column Data Format", in the upper right portion of the wizard
    > window, click on "Date", and then make sure DMY is in the adjoining box.
    > The header of your selected date column in the "data preview" box should
    > change from "General" to "DMY".
    >
    > Now, when you click "Finish", TTC will automatically format your date

    column
    > at the same time as it performs the data separation.
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Convert general format to date

    Appreciate the feed-back.

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    "NickC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    Thanks. It worked
    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You can accomplish the separation of the date portion *AND* the formatting
    > of *that* date column in one shot, while you're in TTC.
    >
    > In the 3rd step of the TTC wizard, *before* you click on "Finish", click

    on
    > the date column to select it.
    > Then, under "Column Data Format", in the upper right portion of the wizard
    > window, click on "Date", and then make sure DMY is in the adjoining box.
    > The header of your selected date column in the "data preview" box should
    > change from "General" to "DMY".
    >
    > Now, when you click "Finish", TTC will automatically format your date

    column
    > at the same time as it performs the data separation.
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -