# in cell

  1. #1
    Kimberly Noronha
    Guest

    # in cell

    Why does my text get displayed as "####" in spite of the fact that it is not
    a formula cell? I have tried to resize the cell, but nothing seems to be
    working.

  2. #2
    Arnold Reedy
    Guest

    RE: # in cell

    If its text then I think you have too much text in the cell. I believe the
    limit is 256 characters

  3. #3

    Re: # in cell

    It could mean a couple of things.

    1. The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.
    2. You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative
    3. You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.

    To fix #1: Widen the column or change the font size of that cell
    To fix #2: Don't use negative dates.
    Don't use negative times/dates. But if you have to, change
    Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
    (but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
    and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
    workbook that doesn't use this setting
    To fix #3: Format the cell as general.

  4. #4

    Re: # in cell

    This is prettier:

    It could mean a few things.

    1. The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.

    Widen the column or change the font size of that cell. Or change the
    numberformat to General.

    2. You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative

    Don't use negative dates. If excel was helping you, it may have
    changed the format to a date. Change it back to General (or some
    other number format).

    If you need to see negative date/times:
    Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
    (but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
    and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
    workbook that doesn't use this setting)

    3. You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.

    Format the cell as general.

    4. You really have ###'s in that cell.

    Clean up that cell.

    5. You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill.

    Change the format
    (format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General.