histograms - frequency and relative frequency?

  1. #1

    Unhappy histograms - frequency and relative frequency?

    Hi,

    I'd like to start by thanking everyone in advance for helping students like me.

    I have a problem I'm working on for class and it goes something like this:

    "The salaries (in hundreds of dollars) of a sample of 40 government employees are as follows:

    208 160 175 ...

    Construct both a frequency histogram (vanilla) and a relative frequency histogram (chocolate). Hint: use six bins."

    Now I've enabled the "Data Analysis" feature, but i'm assuming I need to add some function to enable the frequency thing?

    I apologize for being so lost - I'm trying!

    Thanks people!

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: histograms - frequency and relative frequency?

    Hi!

    >i'm assuming I need to add some function
    >to enable the frequency thing?

    The frequencies are calculated and are output in the histogram.

    Assume your data is in the range A1:B5

    Bins are in the range C1:C10

    Goto Tools>Data Analysis
    Select Histogram
    Fill in the user form
    OK

    Don't know what is meant by a frequency histogram and a relative frequency
    histogram.

    Biff

    "confusedstudent"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    "Biff" wrote:
    > Don't know what is meant by a frequency histogram and a
    > relative frequency histogram.

    In the first case, the y-axis is the frequency represented by each
    bin, as you might be used to. In the second case, the y-axis is
    the percentage of the total in each bin-- the bin frequency divided
    by the sum of the frequencies (total number of data).

    Two distributions can have the same relative frequency
    histogram, but different frequency histograms. For example,
    consider a uniform distribution of 1000 data and 10000 data
    over 10 bins. In the frequency histogram, the y-axis is 100
    and 1000 respectively. In the relative frequency histogram,
    the y-axis is 0.1 in both cases.