Password Protection

  1. #1
    Susan
    Guest

    Password Protection

    I couldn;t find this question anywhere on this forum, so I hope I'm not
    wasting anyone's time...I sent an Excel worksheet to a friend via email. I
    passworded it first. She said she didn't need any password to open it. Is
    the password protection only valid for the PC on which it was created? Is
    there any way to protect a worksheet that is to be emailed? TIA!

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Password Protection

    Maybe you really didn't save after protecting or what did she use to open?

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Password Protection

    When you password-protect a file it doesn't stop other people from
    opening the file, but it does prevent them from changing the formulae
    (by accidentally entering another value), or from changing the formats
    (and column widths). You can set the file up so that they can only
    enter data into cells which you have selected, so they can use your
    file but they can not change the parts which you don't allow them to.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Password Protection

    there are several levels of password protection.

    Worksheet and workbook are applied under the tools menu. File level is done
    as part of the SaveAs dialog. This file level protection is the only level
    that requires a password to open the file. The others protect the content,
    but not from viewing. the is also protection for VBA code in the workbook,
    but this doesn't appear applicable here.

    All levels of passsword protection can be broken with existing password
    crackers designed for the job.

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Password Protection

    "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When you password-protect a file it doesn't stop other people from
    > opening the file, but it does prevent them from changing the formulae
    > (by accidentally entering another value), or from changing the formats
    > (and column widths). You can set the file up so that they can only
    > enter data into cells which you have selected, so they can use your
    > file but they can not change the parts which you don't allow them to.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Pete

    Huh? In Excel 2000, a password, when applied correctly, most certainly DOES
    keep the sheet from being opened. I've been doing this for years. Has
    Microsoft removed this capability in subsequent versions?

    - File, Save As
    - Click on "Tools", then "General Options"
    - I'm presented with a box showing "Password to modify" and "Password to
    open".

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Password Protection

    > I passworded it first.

    I don't see where she specifically said she used File Save As . . .

    Since the recipient was able to open it without a password, good chance that
    she used Workbook or worksheet protection under tools.

    >Has Microsoft removed this capability in subsequent versions?

    No.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Susan
    Guest

    RE: Password Protection

    Thanks for the responses. I used Excel 97, she used 2003(XP). I gave her
    the password, as I wanted her to be able to open it, but she said it came
    right up. I checked it beforehand, and I needed to put in the password. Not
    a big deal...just wondering if there was a way to protect it for things like
    email, etc. Thanks anyway.

  8. #8
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Password Protection

    Are you saying that after reading the responses, you were UNABLE to make the
    password thing work the way you wanted?

  9. #9

    Help me please

    Regarding exel password, I have other problem. I put password in an exel file to protect it but now, I canot remember the password to open the file
    I try many times but could not make it. It's siad that there are softwares to recover the password?

    Could you please help me?

    Thanks alot.

  10. #10
    Norman Jones