Quotation Marks - When and What??

  1. #1

    Quotation Marks - When and What??

    Hi all,

    A simple query about references that include parts of the reference (eg sheet name) in quotation marks.

    When is this required?

    What purpose does it serve?

    Or possibly I am just confused and they are not actually used in this context.

    Thanks for viewing and/or replying.

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Quotation Marks - When and What??

    Single quotes are required for sheet names that have spaces in them.

    =Sheet3!A1

    versus

    ='Sheet 3'!A1

  3. #3

    Re: Quotation Marks - When and What??

    If you're not sure, then let excel do the work.

    Select a cell on the one of the sheets.
    edit|copy
    select a cell on a different sheet in the same workbook
    edit|paste special|click paste link

    You'll see what excel did.

    I sometimes change the name of the worksheet to A (just the letter A). Then I
    can write my formula pretty simply. Then when I'm done, I'll change the name
    back to what it's supposed to be. Excel will adjust the formulas and include
    single quotes if required.