How do I count alpha codes in a range of cells in a row?

  1. #1
    Barbarosa
    Guest

    How do I count alpha codes in a range of cells in a row?

    I have a spreadsheet that uses specific alpha codes to identify a situation.
    I want to count each alpha code in a row and total the count in its own
    column. For example: There are 4 alpha codes that could be used. In column
    one I want the total count of all alpha code As, in column two I want the
    total count of all alpha code Bs etc

  2. #2
    wAyne
    Guest

    RE: How do I count alpha codes in a range of cells in a row?

    Have yuo tried using the COUNTIF function:
    eg. =COUNTIF(A:A,"A") to count As
    =COUNTIF(A:A,"B") to count Bs

    where A:A is the range of your data and "A" is the code you are searching
    for...

    wAyne_