*Salvation Army* Importing information from one workbook to another

  1. #1

    Question *Salvation Army* Importing information from one workbook to another

    I intern with the Salvation Army and am looking to update some of their workbooks.

    The story:
    We have clients that pay so much for program fees. When they fall behind their name goes onto a worksheet called Fees.xls

    We also have a worksheet that shows all who are currently living at the shelter called Recap.xls

    Each night Recap.xls is updated with new clients.

    Both worksheets are set-up the same, A1 on Fees.xls contains the same info as Recap.xls. The only difference is some names are red on Fees.xls where they are not highlighted on Recap.xls

    The big question!
    Recap.xls is updated by our shelter staff each night where Fees.xls are updated (Turning some names red) twice monthly by our admin staff. Our admin staff is always asking us to keep the names current on Fees.xls. We have such turnover being a homeless shelter it would take twice the time each night to update them both.
    Can I just "Link" the info from A1 on Recap.xls to A1 on Fees.xls and have Fees.xls update automatically when it is opened?

    Thanks so much for your help!
    God bless,
    Robert

  2. #2
    PY & Associates
    Guest

    RE: *Salvation Army* Importing information from one workbook to anothe

    Can we have a look at the two files please?

  3. #3

    Sorry :(

    I would love to but I can’t for confidentiality reasons. I read my question again and it seems pretty self explanatory. If you have any questions about them I will try my best to help out.

    Thanks for the help!
    -Robert

  4. #4
    PY & Associates
    Guest

    Re: *Salvation Army* Importing information from one workbook to an

    So we have to guess now.
    All your clients are homeless and pay program fees to stay in the shelter.
    Their details are in Recap.xls, including tracking of their payment.

    We would then suggest to turn the relevant names red in Recap.xls
    (programmetically) and let the admin staff use the same file. Get rid of
    Fees.xls

  5. #5

    Ok, lets try this again... :-P

    Recap.xls is what the nighttime staff updates each night. The list is updated by removing old clients and adding new ones. Fees.xls needs to have all the same stuff as Recap.xls. The nighttime staff can only update the client list. The admin staff updates the people that haven’t paid; all they do is turn some names red while keeping the rest black. This task needs to be completed by the two different areas because the nighttime staff doesn’t handle who pays and who doesn’t, just the admin staff. Since Recap.xls is updated and printed each night I need Fees.xls to be updated as well without having to do all the extra footwork.