How do I disable email formatting.

  1. #1

    How do I disable email formatting.

    I'd like to enter email addresses in a certain column as plain text but it gets automatically formatted in a way that opens Outlook. I just want to enter something like [email protected] as plain text without it turning into a link that opens up an email program. Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How do I disable email formatting.

    Hi!

    Goto Tools>AutoCorrect Options>Auto Format as You Type

    Uncheck: Internet and network paths with hyperlinks

    OK out

    Biff

    "dwilliams" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Thanks for the reply

    Maybe I should have given the version - excel 2000 - does that make a difference?

    There's a "Tools>AutoCorrect" menu item but not a "Tools>AutoCorrect Options>Auto Format as You Type" option.

    Under the "Tools>AutoCorrect" I unchecked everthing ( there was nothing about auto format) but got the same results.

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How do I disable email formatting.

    > Maybe I should have given the version - excel 2000 - does that make a
    > difference?

    Well, I'm using Excel 2002. Sorry, don't know 2000!

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How do I disable email formatting.

    You can't turn that off in Excel up through Excel 2000.
    You can have a macro immediately wipe out the link as soon as it
    is created, but the method is a nuisance.

    I would suggest just letting them get created (even if you have Excel 2002 and up)
    and then remove all that you don't want all at one time.
    Removing object hyperlinks from a Cell or cell range (#DelHyperlinks)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#DelHyperlinks

    Also contains tips on not taking a hyperlink, like after clicking down
    wait before releasing left mouse button, or use the arrow keys.
    ---
    HTH,

  6. #6

    Thanks David

    That covers it.

  7. #7
    Pastel Hughes
    Guest

    RE: How do I disable email formatting.

    The autocorrect option affects all worksheets and workbooks.
    I have a form that I want OTHERS to use, which asks for an email addresss,
    but I don't want Outlook to automatically start when they key the address
    into Excel.
    Is there a way?