Copying and pasting a series of cells

  1. #1
    Hagerstown, Maryland, USA

    Copying and pasting a series of cells

    When I copy and paste the following cell

    =IF('13'!B13>0,'13'!B13,NA())
    to the remainder of the days of the month, what I get is

    =IF('13'!B14>0,'13'!B14,NA())
    =IF('13'!B15>0,'13'!B15,NA())
    etc
    But what I want to get is

    =IF('14'!B13>0,'14'!B13,NA())
    =IF('15'!B13>0,'15'!B13,NA())
    etc
    I'd even settle for

    =IF('13'!B13>0,'13'!B13,NA())
    =IF('13'!b13>0,'13'!B13,NA())
    etc
    whereafter I could just modify the formulas individually by hand.

    But Excel just assumes a certain kind of translation. So I have to undo its translation and change it to the desired one.

    Is there a way to override the translation effect when cutting and pasting formulas? Or ideally to modify it to go a certain way rather than another?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Copying and pasting a series of cells

    I don't have Excel up and running right now to test this with, but give this
    a try....

    =IF(13!$B$13>0,13!$B$13,NA())

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Hagerstown, Maryland, USA
    Okay, that allowed me to copy and paste without any modifications being made. What does the dollar sign do, anyway? Thanks for the help.

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Copying and pasting a series of cells

    The $ changes the cell reference form "relative" to "absolute"....

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "MattBeckwith" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...