Creating Links to files in a shared directory

  1. #1

    Creating Links to files in a shared directory

    I have a large number of files on a shared directory that I need to be able to easilly obtain a list of and to insert links to. These files are regularly updated and can have new ones added and deleted.

    Ideally I would like to be able to do the following things:

    1) Automatically output a list of the excel files within the directory, including those within subfolders into excel.

    2) If 1 is achievable would it then be possible to automatically create links to the data within these spreadsheets that I need to extract.

    I do hope somebody can assist.
    Paul

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Creating Links to files in a shared directory

    hi grewpp

    Try this example
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron,

    Thank you for your response.

    Example 1 is the closest to what I am looking for.

    However, we have over 450 spreadsheets that need to be linked to - this number does vary from week to week, both up and down. Would there be a way to create a macro that looks for all excel files within a folder, and it's subfolders, and create the links?

    Thanks again
    Paul Grewer

  4. #4
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Creating Links to files in a shared directory

    Paul,

    My free Excel add-in "List Files" may do what you want.
    You can download it here...

    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  5. #5
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Creating Links to files in a shared directory

    Hi grewpp

    You can use Ctrl A to select all files in the GetOpenFilename dialog but I will add a example this week to my site if I have time.

    You can see the code in this example that you can add to the macro if
    you want to use a whole folder
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/ado.htm#folder

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin