2 worksheets in 2 windows

  1. #1
    Frank
    Guest

    2 worksheets in 2 windows

    Question - in word a new sheet opens in a new window, if I open excel sheets
    it always opens in the same window, I can split in this window but I can not
    get 2 independet windows sp that I can have one sheet on screen 1 and a 2. on
    screen 2

    Do anyone knows have to solve this ?

  2. #2
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: 2 worksheets in 2 windows

    Once you have opened the book.
    Go to <window><new window>
    this will open a seperate window of the same book
    use <window><arrange><horizontal
    and you can now select different sheets in the two windows.

    Also have a look at the "compare side by side" where the windows will scroll
    in tandem...........
    It may pay to close one of the windows before saving and closing the book.

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Frank
    Guest

    Re: 2 worksheets in 2 windows

    Dear Bill !

    Thanks for the the answer and taking time to write back. Sorry to inform you
    but this is know to me aleady, but this actually only gives you 1 main window
    with the 2 sheets shown in the same.

    If you open 2 word docs, it will open in 2 main windows, but excel does it
    in the same main.

    What I need is the same function as in word, I have to monitors and wants to
    have sheet 1 in monitor 1 and sheet 2 in monitor 2, this is possibel in word
    but not in excel

    Do you have a suggest to solve this ?

    Thanks in advance

    Frank

  4. #4
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: 2 worksheets in 2 windows

    What you describe is the normal way that Excel works, however you can
    open two separate instances of Excel quite easily by double-clicking
    the Excel icon (I have a shortcut on the desktop, but if you don't then
    use Windows Start). Reduce the size of the Excel window, then
    double-click the icon again - you will now have two Excel windows which
    are independent of one another, so you can open one file in one window
    and a different file in the second.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  5. #5
    Frank
    Guest

    Re: 2 worksheets in 2 windows

    Hi Pete

    Thanks this is a way to do it but then I from these windows must open the
    sheet in each monitor.

    Is there a way to make this as standard for excel that it opens independent
    / seperatly ? It should be possible with a kind of command ?

    So you know this ?

    Frank

  6. #6
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: 2 worksheets in 2 windows

    I don't have two monitors, so I can't try it. There have been other
    postings recently on similar matters, so perhaps you can search the
    archives for Dual Monitors or 2nd Instance and see what that throws up.

    Pete

  7. #7
    Frank
    Guest

    Re: 2 worksheets in 2 windows

    Hi Pete !

    Actually the 2 monitors has nothing to do with it, so it should also be
    possible in 1 monitor as it worked opening 2 blank sheets form the desktop
    icon.

    Do you know if it is possible to open existing sheets in this way in 1
    monitor ?

    Or do you open the blank and then afterwords the wanted sheets ?

    Frank

  8. #8
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: 2 worksheets in 2 windows

    Frank,

    I was hoping someone else with direct experience would offer some
    contribution, but as nobody has I've experimented a bit. If you
    double-click a file to open it, then Excel will be opened and the file
    loaded into it. If you then double-click the Excel icon, a new instance
    of Excel will start - you can do this a few times to get several Excel
    windows on the screen at the same time. If you subsequently
    double-click another workbook icon, it will be loaded into the last
    Excel window that was active, even if there are some that are empty, so
    you can get two workbooks in one instance, one in another, and yet a
    third or fourth instance with no workbooks.

    I don't know why you would want to do this, though, as you do lose some
    flexibility in having 2 instances of Excel open each with one file in,
    rather than one instance with 2 files in. I prefer the way Excel works,
    with multiple files in one window rather than the way Word works, but
    I've seen opposite views expressed on the newsgroups. I suggested you
    search the archives because I remember a comment a few weeks ago from
    someone with 2 monitors who said that he had no problem stretching the
    Excel window across to the second monitor and then having one file
    window on one monitor and a second file window on the other - as I said
    before, I have no direct experience of this.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  9. #9
    Frank
    Guest

    Re: 2 worksheets in 2 windows

    Hi Pete !

    Thanks a lot for your help, I found the answer on my question in another
    group :-)

    It is not possible for excel to work in the same way as word. BUT it is
    possible to reprograme the way excel function and then it will open in
    seperate proram windows.

    One of the bad thing by opening in one program window but with a lot of
    workbooks is that if you clik the red close cross you close maybe 10
    workbooks in 1 and there was may some which needed to be changede etc. and if
    you are not aware that you closed the program window and not a single
    workbook you can loose a lot of work.

    Again thanks for the help, nice that people care about others problems :-)

    Have a good time

    Frank

  10. #10
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: 2 worksheets in 2 windows

    Thanks for getting back - glad you managed to get a solution from
    somewhere.

    Pete

  11. #11

    helppppp

    first,i'm sorry for my english,i'm from Croatia....
    i want to known how i can open 2 excel file in 2 windows,or each excel in her own windows?with out arrange or like dis
    if someone can reply on my mail: [email protected]

    office 2000

    tanks a lot!