How to create a drop down box as a heading

  1. #1
    Kylie Rose
    Guest

    How to create a drop down box as a heading

    I am trying to use excel for a database and would like to create a drop down
    box for the contact numbers of individuals, I would like everytime I select
    an alternative heading (four of them) that the data then coincides to all
    individuals in the database, ie, select fax numbers from a drop down box also
    containing home, work and mobile numbers and then have all the individuals
    fax numbers appear in that column. Is this possible??

    Thanks to anyone taking the time to answer this.
    Kylie

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to create a drop down box as a heading

    Kylie,

    Assuming that the headings are in A1:D1, create a DV box, and with a type of
    list, add this formula

    =OFFSET(A1:D1,1,MATCH(G1,OFFSET(A1:D1,0,0,1,COLUMNS(A1:D1)),0)-1,COUNTA(OFFS
    ET(A1:D1,1,MATCH(G1,OFFSET(A1:D1,0,0,1,COLUMNS(A1:D1)),0)-1,1000,1)),1)

    This assumes the selected item is in G1

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to create a drop down box as a heading

    BTW, you will probably get a message saying there is an error, just continue
    past it.

  4. #4
    Kylie Rose
    Guest

    Re: How to create a drop down box as a heading

    Thank you very much for your time, it astounds me that people take the time
    out to answer others problems here, it's great.

    I'm ashamed to say I don't quite understand the answer you have provided but
    will endeavour to work on it tomorrow when I have a clear head. I'm sure it
    makes perfect sense.
    Kind Regards
    Kylie

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips

    I have posted an example at http://cjoint.com/?clpVZyNcIc

  6. #6
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: How to create a drop down box as a heading

    How about something like this:

    let's assume your database is set as follows:
    sheet2
    Columns-Header
    A - Name
    B - Address
    C - City
    D - State/Province
    E - Zip/Postal Code
    F - Home Phone
    G - Work
    H - Mobile
    I - Fax

    sheet1 you mange to pull these sets of data off of sheet2
    Columns-Header
    A - Name
    B - Address
    C - City
    D - State/Province
    E - Zip/Postal Coldes
    F - your drop down list with "home,work,mobile,fax"

    in F2 you could use something like

    =IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$I$1000,LOOKUP($F$1,{"fax","home","mobile","work"},{9,6,8,7}),0))
    copied down
    {9,6,8,7} represents the column number in your database for
    {"fax","home","mobile","work"}

    or if you want to use this in a column within the database then use an
    OFFSET formula

    =OFFSET(A2,0,LOOKUP($F$1,{"fax","home","mobile","work"},{9,6,8,7})-1)
    copied down

    I forgot to put a column for e-mails but hopefully you get the idea

    Hope this helps!
    Jean-Guy