find the second value if it is a tie

  1. #1
    cloud
    Guest

    find the second value if it is a tie

    suppose 23 degrees fall on 1st of jan and 31st of jan.

    how do i use match,index so tat the answer will show 31st jan instead of
    23rd jan and i am not allowed to use sorting.

  2. #2
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: find the second value if it is a tie

    Try this code in a command button. Search value in D1, data in A1:A20

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Set sh = Worksheets(ActiveSheet.Name)
    cv = sh.Cells(1, 4).Value
    For i = 1 To 20
    dv = sh.Cells(i, 2)
    sv = sh.Cells(i, 1)
    If sv = cv Then
    If dv > lastdate Then
    lastdate = dv
    Next i
    If lastdate <> "" Then
    sh.Cells(1, 3).Value = lastdate

    Hans

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: find the second value if it is a tie

    If you want the last date that a specific temp occurred, try something like
    this:

    With dates in cells A1:A100 and temps in B1:B100

    C1: (the temp you want to find)
    D1: =INDEX(A1:A100,SUMPRODUCT(MAX((B1:B100=C1)*ROW(B1:B100))),1)

    (D1 is formatted as a date)

    Is that something you can work with?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: find the second value if it is a tie

    If I understand you correctly you want to return the latest date if you have
    a tie, if so then try this array formula:

    assuming B1:B10 is your degrees and A1:A10 your dates
    =MAX(IF(B1:B10=23,A1:A10))
    enter using Ctrl+Shift+Enter

    HTH
    Jean-Guy