VLOOKUP Function

  1. #1
    Serge
    Guest

    VLOOKUP Function

    Can you enter multiple values in the "Lookup_Value". I have 3 worksheet, on
    sheet 1, I have cell J9 that looks at I9 and a data table on sheet 3 which
    works ok for now, but the results in J9 must be in conjunction with I9 & D9.
    Can anyone help with this request.
    Thanks in advance for reading my posting.

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP Function

    Vlookup can't take multiple criteria. You could create a helper column with
    the criteria columns concatenated (in K9, for instance: =I9 & "-" & D9) and
    lookup the concatenated values. Or check
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html to see how the sumproduct
    function might help.

  3. #3

    Re: VLOOKUP Function

    You're trying to match up on multiple columns and when all the columns match,
    then retrieve a value from that same row???

    You can use this kind of syntax:

    =index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100,
    match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100),0))
    (one cell)

    them yourself.)

    Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.

    This returns the value in othersheet column C when column A and B (of
    othersheet) match A2 and B2 of the sheet with the formula.

    And you can add more conditions by just adding more stuff to that product
    portion of the formula:

    =index(othersheet!$d$1:$d$100,
    match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
    *(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100)
    *(c2=othersheet!$c$1:$c$100),0))

    (still an array formula)

  4. #4
    Serge
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Function

    Thanks for your reply Dave, it's 7:30 pm I will try this tomorrow evening
    after work. I'm too tired at the moment. I've been at this for the last 8
    hours.