cutting and pasting rows from one sheet to another generates error

  1. #1
    JT Spitz
    Guest

    cutting and pasting rows from one sheet to another generates error

    Excel 2000
    I have a worksheet that has six non contiguous rows that I need to move to a
    new worksheet.

    Every time I cut and paste from the original worksheet to the new one it
    generates errors and closes Excel. It states it is generating an error log,
    that I can't see. Please note I am doing this one row at a time, rather than
    picking up all six rows at once. This also happens when I group the six
    together and then try to paste the six at once.

    It does let me copy the information and then go back to the original and
    delete the rows, so I can accomplish what I need, but it seems that this is
    an inefficient use of Excel.

    Any help in determining what the problem is would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

  2. #2

    Re: cutting and pasting rows from one sheet to another generates error

    I think it's time for some detective work.

    If you start two new workbooks and do the same type of cut|paste, do you have
    trouble.

    If no, then it might not be excel (the program).

    Maybe the sending workbook is getting corrupted. I had a similar problem where
    I couldn't move a worksheet--but I could copy the worksheet (not the cells--the
    whole worksheet).

    I rebuilt that worksheet (yechhh!) and all things went back to normal.

    Maybe it's time to recreate that worksheet (or workbook?).

  3. #3
    JT Spitz
    Guest

    Re: cutting and pasting rows from one sheet to another generates e

    I copied each worksheet to a new workbook. There are 12, one for each month.
    I then cut and pasted to a blank workbook without incident.

    I then attempted to see what would happen if I did that from the original
    workbook, and I got the same error, no surprise there. However, then I tried
    to cut and paste from the new workbook and got the same error. This was a
    surprise.

    The 12 worksheets contain a lot of formulae and up until now have not given
    me any trouble. Do you, hopefully, have any other ideas on why this is
    happening or what I can do to fix this?

    Is my attempt to use the original workbook causing the new one to fail as
    well?

    Thanks for your assistance.

  4. #4
    JT Spitz
    Guest

    Re: cutting and pasting rows from one sheet to another generates e

    Just copied the worksheets again and found that sometimes it works and
    sometimes it doesn't. This seems to be inconsistent except for the fact that
    I have to close Excel and get back in before it will work again.

    Once the worksheet is closed and then reopened, it fails, but while it is
    working, I can cut and paste to at least two different worksheets.

    I don't understand why this is happening, but hopefully this will give
    additional information for determining the problem and/or the solution.

  5. #5

    Re: cutting and pasting rows from one sheet to another generates e

    Still guesses...

    Did you really copy the worksheet (edit|move or copy sheet)?

    If you did, maybe it's time to copy the cells and paste into new worksheets.
    (That's what I was trying to suggest in my first post.)

    This is lots of work, so you may want to do just enough to test to see if you
    should continue.

    And some other things to try...

    Lots of people have praised OpenOffice.org for saving their data and code.

    http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

    There are commercial recovery services. I've never used it, but you might want
    to check into:
    http://www.officerecovery.com

    And sometimes newer versions of excel can open files that older versions can't.
    (And sometimes just different versions may work, too!)

    ====
    And maybe, maybe, you could save the file as .html and then reopen that .html
    file. Then save it as a new workbook (.xls). You may have less stuff to
    rebuild???

  6. #6
    JT Spitz
    Guest

    Re: cutting and pasting rows from one sheet to another generates e

    I tried both ways, copying the worksheets and copying only the specific rows.
    Neither changed the situation or its inconsistency. We even reloaded our
    MSOffice programs, which also didn't change the situation.

    As a last test I tried the following:
    1. Opened Excel,
    2. Created a blank workbook first (this seems to be when cutting and
    pasting works best, when a blank workbook preexists the source workbook)
    3 Opened the work book I want to get info from.
    4. Pasted into the blank work book, which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
    5. Opened another blank workbook
    6. Tried to cut and paste another row of data into the new blank workbook.
    7. Got the error message and Excel shut itself down.

    Based on these I am convinced that the problem resides in the original
    workbook file and any copies made, no matter how they are created.

    The files themselves seem to be working fine as far as all other functions
    go, so I guess I will have to copy, paste and then go back and delete, which,
    so far, has never given me a problem.

    Do you have any thoughts, because I am totally out of ideas.

    Thanks anyway for your help.

  7. #7

    Re: cutting and pasting rows from one sheet to another generates e

    I think I'd give serious thought to rebuilding that workbook.

    Even though copying seems to work, you never know when that'll break (maybe
    never??).

  8. #8
    JT Spitz
    Guest

    Re: cutting and pasting rows from one sheet to another generates e

    Yeah, prbbably the way to go. I just found out the file I created last year
    that I used as the template for this one also sporadically does the same
    thing. I guess I will hae to start from scratch and manually input my
    formatting and formulas. What a pain.

    Anyway thanks for the attempt, it is appreciated.