How come Excel can't calculate any =SIN(x) or =COS(y) correctly?

  1. #1
    Shinygaia
    Guest

    How come Excel can't calculate any =SIN(x) or =COS(y) correctly?

    Hi,

    I work with Excel on this math report and the formula I typed in just kept
    not working properly. The results were all off. So I checked everything very
    carefully and found out why it didn't work. In need to calculate sin and cos
    so I typed =SIN(45) in one cell and =COS(45) in another cell just to check if
    it works and ... Surprise! I ended up with two different results instead of
    0,707 for both!!! I tried with =SIN(0), =SIN(180) and =SIN(360) and again ...
    wrong (supposed to be "0" for all of them). If someone knows a way to fix
    that, it would be of great help!

    By the way, Happy Valentine Day!

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: How come Excel can't calculate any =SIN(x) or =COS(y) correctly?

    The trig functions use radians, not degrees. Try =SIN(45*PI()/180).

  3. #3

    Re: How come Excel can't calculate any =SIN(x) or =COS(y) correctly?

    Excel uses radians--not degrees:

    =SIN(RADIANS(45))
    or
    =SIN(45*PI()/180)

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How come Excel can't calculate any =SIN(x) or =COS(y) correctly?

    In Excel, angles should be expressed in Radians, not degrees

    =SIN(RADIANS(45))-COS(RADIANS(45)) returns (almost) zero

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How come Excel can't calculate any =SIN(x) or =COS(y) correctly?

    BTW,

    One simple check in HELP would have told you

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:e%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Shinygaia
    Guest

    RE: How come Excel can't calculate any =SIN(x) or =COS(y) correctly?

    *Knocks her head on the table*

    I COMPLETLY forgot about radian and worst of all I knew it!!! *sigh* So much
    time wasted on something as easy as that... what a shame!!! lol

    Thanks to all of you guys!

  7. #7
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How come Excel can't calculate any =SIN(x) or =COS(y) correctly?

    :-}