Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Adding an average line to a bar chart

  1. #1
    tylercoats
    Guest

    Adding an average line to a bar chart

    Is there any way, in Excel, that I can add a line across a bar/column chart
    that is at the average value for the bars/columns?
    --
    Tyler Coats
    Georgia State Financing and Investment Commission

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Adding an average line to a bar chart

    See http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...s.html#AddLine

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Adding an average line to a bar chart

    Two options come to mind.
    Easiest would be to drop it in manually. After the column chart is done,
    View > Toolbars and select the Drawing toolbar. Use the tools that now
    appear to add a horizontal line where the average belongs.
    The other choice would be to create another column of data that has the
    average in each cell. Include that column in the data range for your chart.
    Now, instead of a column chart, select the chart type from the Custom tab,
    and choose Line Column on 2 Axes. The line would be for your averages which,
    since they're constant, would give you a horizontal.
    --Bruce

    "tylercoats" wrote:

    > Is there any way, in Excel, that I can add a line across a bar/column chart
    > that is at the average value for the bars/columns?
    > --
    > Tyler Coats
    > Georgia State Financing and Investment Commission
    > Construction Division

Closed Thread