Change orientation of data - is this a transform?

  1. #1
    Angus Comber
    Guest

    Change orientation of data - is this a transform?

    Hello

    I have columns like this:

    Name, Company, Address, Telephone

    with more than a thousand rows.

    I need to present the data like this:

    Name
    Company
    Address
    Telephone

    Name
    Company
    Address
    Telephone

    etc

    An example might be:

    Liz Hurley
    Models Inc
    1 The Avenue, London, SW1 6TT
    020 8888 7777

    Tom Jones
    Singers Ltd
    2 The Avenue, London, SW1 6TT
    020 8888 6666

    etc
    etc

    How do I do that?

    ie is there some automated way?

    Angus

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: Change orientation of data - is this a transform?

    Assuming your data is in A1:D1000:
    1 - in an empty column, say F, enter this in F1:F4
    xa1
    xb1
    xc1
    xd1
    2 - select F1:F5 (includes a blank cell)
    3 - Drag the fill handle down to F5000 (this can be done pretty quickly by
    resizing the excel window (entire application) to be a small height, then
    drag the fill handle down near the bottom of the screen (outside the
    application -- goes VERY quickly)
    4 - you now have
    xa2
    xb2
    xc2
    xd2 etc in cells F6:f9
    and xa3
    xb3
    xc3
    xd3 in F11:F14, etc, ending in xd1000

    Select column F, ise Edit/Replace, and replace x with = and you're pretty
    much done!

    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP
    see my book "This isn't Excel, it's magic" at
    http://www.iil.com/iil/excelmagic

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Angus Comber
    Guest

    Re: Change orientation of data - is this a transform?

    Thanks. Yes that is magic - I will look at your book for sure.

    Angus

    news:%[email protected]...