Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column

  1. #1

    Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column

    Hi, I have a Windows NT with Excel 97. I have a very simple csv file
    containing:

    1;2;3

    When I open this test.csv file from File->Open in Excel it renders the
    data in three different columns. If I open the file by double-clicking
    in explorer it launches Excel and the data if confined in the first
    column. It seems as if it doesn't do the same when opening in both
    ways.

    Any hint?

  2. #2

    Re: Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column

    What do you have for your windows list separator?

    Close excel
    windows start button|settings|control panel|Regional and language options

    Click the customize button
    Numbers Tab
    List separator

    Make sure it matches your data.

    Alternatively, you could always select that column and do data|text to columns.
    Choose delimited by a semicolon.

  3. #3

    Re: Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column

    My list separator is the ; char.

    It seems to be a bug in Excel.

    I can't execute the do data text to columns because the excel cvs files
    are downloaded from our web server by our customers and the file is
    automatically opened by Excel at their homes and some of them exhibit
    this problem (the ones having NT + Excel 97).

    If there could be a way to solve this issue it would be very
    interesting to me.

    Thnx a lot.

  4. #4

    Re: Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column

    I could change that list separator and excel would make the adjustment. I don't
    use xl97 anymore, but that's the way I recall it working, too.

    But why can't the customer select column A and do data|text to columns? It's a
    little bit of a training issue, but it's not too difficult.

  5. #5

    Re: Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column

    I can't force any customer neither to change his list separator nor to
    have to use data->text to columns (they r too lazy).

    If there is no way of making Excel 97 open *.csv properly I will have
    to change to xls (sigh!). I don't like closed formats, but there will
    be no other way.

    Plz, if anyone kwnow how to make Excel 97 open csv files properly I beg
    your help.

  6. #6

    Re: Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column

    Good luck.

  7. #7
    ::CORY::
    Guest

    Re: Open CSV file by double-click on explorer all data in one column

    We were dealing with a very similar issue here.

    How we overcame our issue was to change the name format of the CSV file. The
    name we had been using had underscores in it. We took them out and IE then
    did the normal Save As stuff with the CSV file instead of Excel
    automatically just opening the file with all the data in the one column
    and/or cell.

    Trying renaming the file to be downloaded to something very simple (ex:
    a.csv) to test.

    ::CORY::

    news:[email protected]...