Automatic Fills Applied To Cells After Entering a Number

  1. #1
    Janet
    Guest

    Automatic Fills Applied To Cells After Entering a Number

    I was working with an old spreadsheet that a previous employee created. When
    I enter the new amounts & then tab down to the next cell, a fill applies
    itself automatically. I like this feature & would like to apply it to other
    financial spreadsheets. After many hours at home trying to figure this out -
    I've not found an answer. How is this done?
    Thanks so much,
    Janet

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Fills Applied To Cells After Entering a Number

    Are you talking about autocomplete?

    tools>options>edit and check enable autocomplete for cell values

    or do you mean

    tools>options>edit and extend data range formats and formulas

    ?

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Janet
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Fills Applied To Cells After Entering a Number

    Thankyou for your suggestion. Both features are enabled.
    My request on the other hand relates to Fills/Shading that automatically
    appear within each individual cell after I type in my number or text & click
    enter. This happens automatically all the way down this particular column.
    It seems as though it may be unusal - but I know several people who could
    use this.
    Do you have any further suggestions?
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Fills Applied To Cells After Entering a Number

    Janet
    You can do this with Conditional Formatting. If you know you will be
    entering nothing but numbers in these cells and you know that the numbers
    will not be greater than, say 1000000, and not less than, say .01, do the
    following:
    Select all the cells that you want to act this way.
    Click on Format - Conditional Formatting.
    In the first block, select "Cell Value Is".
    In the next block select "between".
    In the next block type .01
    In the last block type 1000000 (or any number you will not exceed)
    Click on the Format button (in the conditional formatting dialog box)
    Select the "Pattern" tab
    Click on the color you want
    Click OK
    Click OK
    Done

    You can also do this with VBA. Post back if you need more. HTH Otto

  5. #5
    Janet
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Fills Applied To Cells After Entering a Number

    Awesome! Thank you so very much.
    Janet