How can I caculate text in a column?

  1. #1
    Calculation of Text
    Guest

    How can I caculate text in a column?

    I have columns where I have used X's as tick marks. X=1, XX=2, XXX=3, etc.
    Can these be added up like #'s in the column?

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How can I caculate text in a column?

    try
    =countif(a:a,"x")

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  3. #3
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: How can I caculate text in a column?

    You can use the length function to determine the number of characters in the
    cell and then sum those values.

    The formula below sums the length of the value in A2, to the lengths of the
    value in A3 and so on.

    =SUM(LEN(A2),LEN(A3),LEN(A4),LEN(A5))
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: How can I caculate text in a column?

    Something like?

    =countif(A1:A100,"=X")

    =countif(A1:A100,"=XX")*2

    etc

    HTH

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: How can I caculate text in a column?

    =COUNTIF(A:A,"x")+COUNTIF(A:A,"xx")*2+COUNTIF(A:A,"xxx")*3

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  6. #6
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How can I caculate text in a column?

    Actually, this is probably what you wanted.

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEN(H2:H50)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(H2:H50,"x",""))))